Hitachi Rail Europe Ltd is a leading manufacturer in total railway solutions, covering rolling stock, signalling, service delivery and traffic management. Our Global Head Office is located in Central London and we currently operate from project offices across the UK, several depot locations and our new state-of-the-art rail vehicle manufacturing facility in Newton Aycliffe.
Our Class 395 Javelin trains currently in operation on the HS1 route have proven our capability in the UK, based on a blend of British and Japanese technical expertise. The Intercity Express Programme and Abellio ScotRail franchise award will see our teams deliver over 200 new trains over the next two years. We are now looking to expand our operations further to build upon our global reputation for quality, reliability, innovation, design and technological leadership.
Hitachi Rail Europe is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications, we are also a member of the WISE campaign which inspires girls and women to study and build careers using science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
Job Function: Undertaking rapid fault finding and diagnosis of any type of fault affecting the service, operational capability or safety of a Set and the correction and/or isolation of any components found to be faulty to enable a return of any such Set to service where practicable
- Undertake fault finding and repair of Hitachi rolling stock assets while in passenger service and at outstations / depots as required.
- Advise the customers operational staff where required in order to minimise operational delays to the passenger service
- Travel on the associated network as directed by the Hitachi Control Room Team in order to meet trains in traffic
- Carry a 4G tablet, diagnostic laptop and hand tools as required to undertake and record all work.
- Liaise with Network Rail staff and stakeholders as required.
- Confirm that traction and rolling stock assets comply with operational specifications by the use of engineering processes and techniques
- Keep SAP record system up to date with clear and concise information of work carried out.
- Read and extract information from traction and rolling stock drawings and specifications
- Prepare for and undertake the removal and replacement of traction and rolling stock components
- Modify or manufacture traction and rolling stock components by material removal using hand tools
- Install new traction and rolling stock components using engineering processes and techniques
- Identify, assess and rectify defects and discrepancies on Hitachi rolling stock assets
- Identify repeat defects on Hitachi rolling stock assets and suggest / carry out repairs
- Create technical scopes of work for fault rectification by other members of staff
- Attend and provide technical support with failures in service when on duty
- Adhere to health, safety, environmental & quality practices in the workplace
- Develop professionally and support good working relationships - Learn new skills in accordance with Hitachi's new business demands as required
- Liaison with Hitachi and external personnel as required to complete the duties of the post
- Assist as required
Licences / Competences
- Network Rail Sentinel PTS
- Stock-Specific maintenance and fault diagnosis
- M & E HNC or served apprenticeship with mechanical, electrical disciplines
- Engineering based NVQ level 3
- Must be able to work as an individual or in a team and make decision under pressure.
- Sound knowledge of, and compliance to, rules and regulations
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to represent Hitachi in a professional manner at all times
Licences / Competences
- Intermediate IT skills - typically Word, Excel
- Driving Licence
There is no need to provide bank account details or payment to any person or organisation when applying for a job.
If you have any concerns about this job then please report it to our Customer Service team.